Wednesday 14 June 2017

Practice Website: My Decisions


For my practise, I chose to use Maverick Sabre, an indie pop artist who sways slightly towards rap as well. He is quite a nominal artist when it comes to his general presentation which contrasts to the passion that he throws into his music.

The first decision that I made was the template with which I made my site. I chose the layout named ‘Single Release’ over others because I liked the simplicity of it because I think it gave off a sense of minimalism which I think is reflected in the artist, Maverick Sabre’s album. 

I began editing the site by changing the background. A lot of the songs in Sabre’s recent
album, ‘Lonely Are The Brave’, involve emotional yet emotionless criminal events committed where he grew up in Hackney Central, London. So, I thought that having the background as a photo of a London city scape would connote the genre of the album as well as the personal connection that the album has to his past. After making this change, I disagreed with the symbolic connotations I had creates as I felt that the colours and regularity of the buildings created too strong a sense of structure an consistency which, within his album, I don’t think he conforms to. I tried a few more ideas that accommodate the indie pop/rap genre with various photos of Maverick himself however with the music video in the centre of the page, a photo of him was simply lost behind it. I then thought that I could use a photo of him but split the screen into 9 sections, leaving the central one for the video. As I was approaching this, the idea of using a small clip from a music video instead. After applying this and then finding the correct music video, I was happy with the overall colour scheme and with how I was presenting the artist. By doing so, I think I appealed to traits of Dyer’s star theory by making him seem original whilst connoting a sense of success against the odd. I think that my portrayal of Sabre would attract his target audience because it's visually enticing and gives them easy access to more products such as his music video and tickets for his tours and well as advertising his social media pages.


Below is the link to my completed website for Maverick Sabre:

https://oripooles.wixsite.com/mavericksabre