Thursday 1 June 2017

My Taste In Music


I don't feel that my taste in music really fits into a single category. Through influence from my parents, I listen to quite a lot of music from the 60s- 80s, however when not listening to that I listen to either acoustic music or indie/rock. 

Two of my favourite indie/rock bands are 'Milky Chance' and 'The Vaccines'. I own the latest album by The Vaccines, English Graffiti, however when listening to Milky Chance's music I usually use streaming apps such as Spotify. I found out about The Vaccines when I was quite young from my sister who I take a lot of influence from when choosing music. However, I heard about Milky Chance from a friend after they played a song from they recent album, Blossoms. I'm yet to see either of them live but I hope to in the near future. 
I think that Milky Chance's music video for their song 'Blossom' suit and conforms with the colour scheme and genre presented in their album cover and website however I feel that the style and themes presented don't quite work. When listening to the song, I was under the impression that it was quite up beat so it would have as certain uplifting tone but after watching their video, my perception of the song, making me focus more so on the lyrics than the music itself.
In contrast, The Vaccines's videos to 'Handsome' and 'Dream Lover' don't really correlate colour and genre wise however the tone and themes presented did. The songs are quite upbeat and fun which is reflected in the space/mythical genre presented. This was an effective and creating way of engaging their target audience by giving them a narrative to follow rather than just the song.